The stage is set for an exciting edition of the Africa Cup of Nations (AFCON) in 2024, as the group draw took place in the heart of Abidjan, the tournament’s host city. The competition, scheduled to kick off on January 13th and conclude on February 11th, features a lineup of African football giants, promising intense clashes and fierce competition.
With a total of 20 countries divided into six groups, football enthusiasts can expect a thrilling showdown as these top nations vie for the prestigious AFCON title. Here’s a closer look at the groups and the teams:
Group A: A Battle for Supremacy
- Host nation Cote D’Ivoire will lock horns with Nigeria, Guinea Bissau, and Equatorial Guinea in Group A. While past records favor Nigeria and the host nation, the evolving landscape of African football suggests that underestimating any team would be a mistake.
Group B: Egypt Leads the Pack
- Group B features Egypt, the most successful team in AFCON history, alongside Ghana, Cape Verde, and Mozambique. Egypt aims to maintain its dominance, but the likes of Ghana and emerging Cape Verde could pose a challenge.
Group C: Senegal’s Defense
- Defending champions Senegal find themselves in Group C, competing with Cameroun, Guinea, and Gambia. Senegal will be eager to secure a back-to-back victory, making this group one to watch.
Group D: Algeria Faces Strong Contenders
- Algeria, another African football powerhouse, will face stiff competition from Burkina Faso, Mauritania, and Angola in Group D. Burkina Faso’s recent strong performances make this group a potential epicenter of surprises.
Group E: North African Powerhouse
- Group E comprises North African powerhouse Tunisia, the West African nation of Mali, and two COSAFA countries, South Africa and Namibia. Tunisia is expected to lead the pack, but the group is open to surprises.
Group F: Morocco Aims for the Crown
- In Group F, current top-ranked African team Morocco stands as the team to beat. They are accompanied by Congo DR, Zambia, and Tanzania. Morocco’s recent impressive track record, including a semi-final appearance in the last World Cup, indicates their strong position.
These group pairings set the stage for a highly competitive AFCON 2024, with traditional powerhouses and emerging forces eager to make their mark.
In addition to the group announcements, the recent FIFA rankings, as of September 21, 2023, provide insight into the current standings of the participating countries. Morocco leads the ranking, followed by Senegal, Tunisia, Algeria, Egypt, and Nigeria, among others. These rankings serve as a testament to the high level of competition expected at the upcoming tournament.
Here are the rankings of the countries participating in AFCON 2024, arranged with each country’s position:
- Cote D’Ivoire
- Burkina Faso
- Congo DR
- South Africa
- Cape Verde
- Equatorial Guinea
- Guinea Bissau
- The Gambia
Football fans worldwide eagerly anticipate the 2024 AFCON, where teams will battle for supremacy and the chance to lift the prestigious AFCON trophy in the football-mad continent of Africa.