In a significant move towards enhancing efficiency and reducing human contact in passport application processes, the Minister of Interior, Olubunmi Tunji-Ojo, officially launched the International Passport Automation System in Abuja on Monday, January 8, 2024.
This innovative system enables users to conveniently upload passport photographs and necessary supporting documents from the comfort of their homes, catering to both fresh applications and passport renewals.
The newly introduced portal aims to strengthen the country’s security architecture while prioritizing the comfort and convenience of Nigerian residents. Minister Tunji-Ojo highlighted the importance of the Nigeria Immigration Service (NIS) deploying document verification personnel across all local government areas to enhance the verification process and ensure the authenticity of submitted documents.
Addressing concerns about the rampant use of forged documents in passport applications, the Minister emphasized the government’s commitment to putting an end to such practices through the implementation of the new system.
To guide applicants through the process, the Minister provided a simple step-by-step guide for applying for a new international passport or renewal through the online portal:
5 Easy Steps To Apply For Your International Passport On Phones Or Laptops:
- Access the online portal at https://passport.immigration.gov.ng/ and enter your NIN. The system will auto-fill your data from the National Identity Management Commission.
- Fill in all necessary data fields as prompted, ensuring accuracy and completeness.
- Upload your passport photo and other required breeder documents (such as birth certificate, indigeneship certificate, etc) onto the platform.
- Visit an immigration office for biometric capture. This step ensures the necessary physical verification and identity confirmation.
- Expect your passport to be ready for collection within two weeks, marking the successful completion of the application process.
For passport renewals, applicants are reminded to have their old passport number readily available for uploading during the application.
The implementation of the International Passport Automation System reflects a commitment to modernizing and simplifying bureaucratic processes, ultimately benefiting the citizens of Nigeria.