A fire broke out at the High Commission of Canada in Abuja, Nigeria, located at 13010G, Palm Close, Diplomatic Drive, Central Business District on Monday. The incident was reportedly triggered by a generator explosion.
Witnesses described thick smoke emanating from the generator house of the High Commission, which gave the impression of an underground tank explosion.
According to an eyewitness, it appeared that the explosion occurred while a technician and another staff member from the High Commission were in the generator room, likely performing maintenance work.
Tragically, both individuals were severely burned in the explosion, with one being a local staff member and the other a diplomatic staff member.
An official from the Canadian High Commission, when contacted by PM News, refrained from providing any comments on the incident.
The cause of the generator explosion is under investigation, and the incident has raised concerns about the safety of generator use due to persistent issues with Nigeria’s power supply.