The leadership of the Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU) has responded to a statement credited to the Minister of Labour and Employment, Chris Ngige.
Recall that Federal Government had earlier said it had scheduled a meeting with the Union, assuring the strike would be called off soon.
Speaking on the development, ASUU president, Prof Emmanuel Osodeke, in an interview with THE WHISTLER on Thursday, referred to reports of the meeting as “social media news.”
“We are not aware of any meeting. There is no meeting; nobody was invited, so we don’t know. It’s social media news,” he said.
Osodeke also denied the union communicated with Ngige, adding that the minister had abandoned them to further his political ambition.
“We are not aware of that. We are discussing with the Minister of Education. Since he (Ngige) left us, we have made progress. I hope he’s not coming back now to destroy the whole process.
“We are not aware of anything he’s saying; we have not spoken to him for a long time, he abandoned the whole thing when he was running for President; that’s part of the reason why this whole thing was delayed for this long. Now he wants to come back and disrupt the whole process. He should stay back and continue to pursue his political ambition and leave us alone. We don’t want him back,” he said.