Nollywood actress, Tonto Dikeh has elicited mixed reactions on Nigerian social media platforms after her decision to switch her political allegiance from the African Democratic Congress (ADC) to the ruling All Progressives Congress (APC).
Tonto Dikeh had previously been the deputy governorship candidate for the ADC in Rivers State for the 2023 elections.
According to reports, the actress and politician will be formally introduced as a member of the APC by the party’s National Women Leader, Mary Alile, during an event scheduled to take place today at the APC national secretariat in Abuja.
Netizens have not held back in their criticism of Tonto Dikeh’s move to the APC, highlighting the fact that she had previously criticized the party on social media. Some comments on the actress’s political shift have included:
- @blessingofgo wrote: “A person who preaches justice for Mohbad has joined a party associated with bad governance.”
- @OKEMMADU wrote: “AGIP: ANY GOVT IN POWER politician. Food is ready politician.”
- @Ekenemchukwu wrote: “Considering the current hardships in the country, I can’t blame anyone who joins a party to secure their daily bread.”
- @Goodman wrote: “What’s the benefit or essence of this news?”
- @iyere Michael wrote: “Hunger is a powerful motivator.”
- @Abdullahi Idris wrote: “She joined a failed ticket.”
- @Nnáọgo (#DaddyOla #DrCrypto) wrote: “No wonder she’s dropping takes on Israel and Palestine to please her northern Muslim money bags. Hunger seems to be driving her actions, perhaps due to a lack of movie roles.”
- James wrote: “Smart move!”
Tonto Dikeh’s decision to change her political affiliation has clearly ignited a lively debate on social media, with many expressing their opinions on her motives and the implications of her move to the APC.